Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Why do we need to be neighborly?

It is very hot and humid today here in Tennessee.  This morning, as I drove by a familiar house where an elderly couple live, they had their door wide open.  I realized they do not have air conditioning in their home.  A couple of days ago, I saw that same couple with their underwear drying out on an old ladder.  All I could think was "Don't they have any family to help them?  What is their story?"  I sit here in my air conditioned home waiting for a storm to go by, thinking about that couple.  If they were my neighbors, what would I do?  I would invite them to my home for dinner! 
I would like to share a beautiful scripture in Matthew 25:30-34 (NLT).
It is a parable that describes acts of mercy that we can do daily.  These acts do not depend on your wealth, abilities or intelligence.  We are not to ignore people with deep needs and should not make the church or government responsible for them.  Jesus expects us to have personal involvement in caring for others’ needs.
Now that's something to think about!
Blessings to you and yours!
Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment